Considering whether to have facial feminization surgery is a big decision. At Del Rey Face, we understand you must consider the physical and psychological impact of the process, and how the procedures are going to affect your life in general.
Our expert team of surgeons are leading the way in facial feminization and body sculpting, bringing freedom to our transgender clients so they can look like they truly feel. We offer several procedures in facial feminization surgery that can enable you to achieve your dream when it comes to your appearance and make it a reality.
Dr. Kyle Keojampa are world renowned as facial feminization surgeons and highly regarded as being at the forefront of the field.
Dr. Keojampa has patients throughout the United States, Canada, Latin America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, and Australia. A graduate of Pepperdine University and the University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine, he completed his facial plastic surgery, and facial feminization surgery training at the Boston University Medical Center.
Dr. Keojampa performs over 200 major aesthetic craniofacial and facial feminization surgery cases a year, and carries out an average of three full facial feminization surgeries every week.
When Might You Consider Facial Feminization Surgery
Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS) is the process of making your appearance look less masculine and more feminine, and typically involves softening the shape of your nose, jaw, hairline, and forehead.
Many patients undergo FFS as they deal with their feelings about their experienced and expressed gender. The reason for their surgery may be in relation to the sex they were born, and the sex they feel they should be, which is also known as gender dysphoria.
The surgery and techniques used at Del Rey Face can help transgender women make the transition to their self-affirmed gender in the physical. At Del Rey Face, we use the most advanced technology to ensure the best possible patient outcomes.
Many of our patients come to us because they feel reassured in the knowledge that Dr. Keojampa have performed facial feminization with such great success and worked with a very large number of cases.
If you are transgender, you may feel that your reflection on the outside does not truly reflect how you feel on the inside. Many of our patients come to us because they desire more feminine features as they navigate their transgender journey. Typically, they request a smaller forehead, higher cheekbones, or softer, fuller lips.
When discussing what procedures to have to achieve their goal, our patients may also consider having a facelift, or a skin tightening procedure.
A person’s facial features are of course defined by their genetic and physical makeup. Your eyes, brow, and jaw can reflect your gender. You may find it much easier to cover other parts of your body that demonstrate your assigned gender, while your face is on display all the time for all the world to see.
What Does Facial Feminization Surgery Involve?
Our Doctors will meet with you initially to discuss your FFS goals.
Procedures which may be included in FFS include:
- Hairline lowering: The surgeon makes an incision along the length of your hairline to bring skin forward over your forehead, preserving healthy hair follicles so hair continues to grow.
- Forehead contouring: The surgeon may surgically remove part of the frontal bossing, which is a pronounced bone just above the eyebrow ridge. During this procedure, the surgeon can reshape the forehead to give a smoother appearance.
- Cheek augmentation: Women have higher cheekbones and more fat in their cheeks than men. Cheek augmentation involves using silicone implants or fat injections to achieve a more feminine appearance. Our surgeons may take fat from another area of your body such as the thighs, to achieve the desired result.
- Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping): Reducing the width of your nose by removing and reshaping the bone can enable you to achieve a more feminine look. During the procedure the surgeon may also reshape the bridge and tip of your nose to achieve smooth contours and a refined, feminine tip.
- Lip lift and augmentation: Women’s top lips typically tend to be larger and closer to their noses than men’s. The surgeon can raise the height of your top lip through a small incision under your nostrils, and can also make your lips fuller with fat injections or fillers.
- Chin reduction (genioplasty): Typically, men tend to have larger, squarer chins than women. Your surgeon may reduce the size of your chin so you can achieve a more pointed or oval shape.
- Jaw shave (reduction): Frequently, men have wider, squarer jaws than women. Through an incision made inside your lower lip or under the chin, one of our expert surgeons can shave away layers of bone. This reduces the size and sharp angles of your jaw, making it look softer.
- Tracheal shave: The tracheal shave procedure involves a surgeon making an incision under your chin to shave away some of the cartilage. Our surgeons carry out this procedure for patients who may feel they have a large Adam’s apple, which occurs when the cartilage of the trachea (windpipe) protrudes at the front of your throat.
Everyone has a completely unique face. You will be asked to share ideas about what you want to achieve with your look. Your surgeon will detail a realistic surgical plan for you to reach your desired goal, and they will be able to outline the specific procedures you need so you can effectively feminize your face.
At Del Rey Face, your surgeon uses detailed anatomical information to decide the best way forward for you to reach your desired goal. They will also take photos so your results can be monitored.
Once you have decided on a treatment plan, your surgeon will work with you to establish how best to achieve the results you desire.
What Are the Positive Outcomes of Facial Feminization Surgery?
Patients who have undergone FFS demonstrated improvements in feelings of anxiety1, anger, and depressive symptoms.
They also experienced a positive effect on their sex life, felt like they had more emotional support, and in addition, realized a renewed meaning and purpose in their own life.
While patients experience some swelling when they have FFS, frequently they can see they have achieved their desired goal when the bandages first come off just days after their surgery. Many say they have experienced a renewed sense of self as they see what is on the inside, reflected physically on the outside.
When the swelling has completely subsided, which can be about a month, then patients can truly embrace and experience the results of their procedure.
There are rarely any long-term issues with FFS. The majority of patients will have all of their procedures carried out during one surgery. On occasion, some patients desire to have a revision on their original procedure if they decide they want to have a different look from what they originally desired.
Common Questions Associated with Facial Feminization Surgery
1. Is FFS covered by insurance?
FFS can often be classified as an elective cosmetic procedure. However, historically it hasn’t been covered by the majority of health insurance providers, or government-supplied healthcare.
In recent years, there has been much progression in thinking around this type of surgery. Now some insurers are working with surgeons to provide coverage for FFS surgery. Insurance plans and benefits are constantly changing, so it is beneficial to verify the details of your plan.
The out-of-pocket expense for FFS can vary considerably, depending on what operations you decide to have. The ballpark is from around $20,000 to $50,000. These figures are also dependent on the surgeon performing the procedures.
The medical establishment is beginning to recognize that if you are transgender, FFS is an integral part of your transition. It is slowly being seen as a fundamental part of the journey, rather than an optional or elective decision on behalf of the patient.
2. Are there any reasons why you may not be able to have FFS surgery?
At Del Rey Face, we consider the following when assessing if you are a good candidate for FFS:
Mental health condition that isn’t managed
Other significant health conditions, such as a bleeding disorder, blood clots, deep vein thrombosis, or a clot in your lung (venous thromboembolism)
Conditions placed on your ability to give consent to having FFS
3. Will you have to do a medical evaluation?
As our patient, you will be invited to do a medical evaluation so you can feel comfortable with your procedures. The process may include:
A review of your personal and family medical history, including disclosure of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections
A physical exam, that may also include your internal reproductive organs
Lab tests to analyze your lipids, blood sugar, blood count, electrolytes and liver enzymes
A review of your immunizations
Age- and sex-appropriate screenings
A review of your tobacco use, drug abuse, alcohol abuse
Discussion regarding contraception and future fertility
4. Will you still look like yourself after FFS?
The goal of FFS is to maintain the essence of who you truly are. Our top-reviewed surgeons try to combine subtle changes to feminize your facial features. We focus on making the final result a more feminine form of who you are.
5. Do the surgeons at Del Rey Face provide before and after photos of facial feminization?
We can share before and after photos of patients who have had facial feminization surgery and are happy to let us demonstrate their results. We never share images without a patient's consent.
6. Will you experience bruising after facial feminization surgery?
Patients may experience some swelling and bruising; however, this can vary among individuals. The majority of patients see bruising resolved in 2 weeks. You may also experience numbness and tingling of your chin, lips, and lower teeth, which is expected to resolve in 2 - 4 weeks.
Schedule an Appointment with Del Rey Face, the Top Reviewed Facial Feminization Surgery Experts in Los Angeles
Having FFS is a big decision and one that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Here at Del Rey Face, we understand and know it can be difficult and stressful. You are taking steps to irreversibly change your life for the better.
Our expert team of top-reviewed facial feminization surgery specialists are here to give you the best support and advice you need so you can fulfill your goal of finding happiness and peace of mind as you take your journey. You can discuss your needs with us today.
Book your consultation here.
Facial Feminization Surgery